Healthcare Professional

People say that people who are in healthcare should be the healthy ones, because "we know best". We give the advice, which it turns out that more often then not, we don't listen to.

We tell the patients about healthy diets, and staying active. So frequently that it is embedded in our minds...but yet when we come home from a long shift...we sit on the couch with a meal or snack food, and do our work, not the least bit healthy or active.

We tell our patients the importance on following up with MD appointments, however we will go years without following up with ours. Why? Simply because we don't have the time to call and schedule the appointments let alone actually make it to the appointments.

We talk to our patients on fluid intact, and the importance of drinking 40-48oz a day. I cringe when my patient asks how much i drink. The answer: very little. Why? Simply because i don't have the time in my day to stop and go to the bathroom, therefore i drink less.

We talk to our patients every day on the signs and symptoms to report immediately to the MD. However, we as a health care professional experience those symptoms, and we shrug it off and keep on going.

I love when i am scheduling the next visit with a patient, and i put them on a Monday, when it happens to be a holiday. My patient very sweetly will say to me "oh, do you realize that is columbus day?!" My response: yep! I work every day. There are no such things as holidays in my profession.

I cringe when i get to a patients home, and i have to send them to the ER. They start to cry, say they are really okay, but i have to send them anyways. Most of the time the patients very upset with me, and on the rare occasion, when i come back the next day, the patient will say to me, "thank you. You made the right call".

I look forward to the day i can discharge the patient, who once was clueless and stubborn, is able to teach me all the information i have been teaching them, and they have made progress to their goals.

But now it is time for me to learn, and to listen. It is time for me to be ready to be discharged because i have made progress to my goals. From the dentist, PCP, naturalpath, therapist and personal trainer. Its my time to learn! It my turn to listen to the advice.

Now its your turn!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Years

Safe Haven

Falltime Bucket List Update #5